Tips on Planning a Nautical Voyage
Here are some practical first steps when planning a nautical voyage.
1. Step One is most important: DO YOUR RESEARCH!
- You'll be needing all the info you can get. Here are a few links to helpful articles on the internet...
- How to Plan a Passage
- How to Plan Your Boating Trip
- David Burch Navigation Blog
2. If you plan to use paper charts, but don't know which charts you'll need...
- Start by looking at a map.
- You can draw some rough lines to indicate your idea of what your route may be.
- Do some research and learn what are the most traveled routes on this journey.
- If you'll be cruising in U.S. Waters, check out the NOAA Chart Finder App↗ to help you identify the charts you'll need.
See a Guide on using the Chart Locator App here↗
- If you'll be travelling outside of U.S. Waters, then you may require charts by British Admiralty, Canadian Hydrographics, or other relevant international Hydrographic agencies. Do your research.
No posts found